27 March 2010

Worlds apart

As you may have guessed, I live in the borough Norrebro, which translates into Northbridge. Only a short bike ride in one direction is Vesterbro, Westbridge, and just as close, in the opposite direction Osterbro, Eastbridge. So close, yet so far apart. Today I went to Osterbro to buy my weekend stash of groceries, and as always I felt like a tourist in a foreign country. Osterbro is just so... preppy. Everybody looks the same, and travels in matching couples, or they push baby carriages around. The streets are wider, the houses are nicer and the whole thing is just so groomed, like a page in a lifestyle magazine. Don't get me wrong, we are all Copenhageners, and it is not that I don't like people who live here, I have sweet friends who do, but phew, I just don't know how they survive. 

But while Osterbro is not my flavour, it is still the closest place to go for decent food. The Daniel Letz salmon (legendary and home smoked, this stuff just melts on your tongue), fresh fish, olive oil and other delicacies. So I suffer the trip, because food is King, but when my bike turns homeward, I always breathe easier.

It only really dawned on me today how strange this is, and I knew this would be my subject of the day. All I needed was some interesting photographs... ha. In any other part of the city I have to get off my bike every other minute to catch this or that, but on Osterbro... nothing. All I could come up with was this row of candy colored houses. You see what I mean?






Parking only allowed if the business is related to the properties


10 comments:

  1. hmmm a little scary indeed. makes me think of claude chabrol movies (french nouvelle vague director), but i'm sure i'm all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very much like a set from a film. I am still not seeing anyone actually living in these houses, but they probably do. My breathing is impaired just looking at these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks so ridiculous neat and in line. i'm almost surprised that they don't have colour co-ordinated cars parked out front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, but all cars today follow a larger plan: they all look the same. I suspect this is why they invented the device in your keychain, that makes the car beep and blink when you press it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, that's funny, we are thinking of buying a car because we're moving to LA, and they so look the same to me that i gave up and told my husband to take whatever one he wanted. I just don't like any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sad you are leaving New York, because I will miss the daily pictures from my favourite city. But staying put just for me is maybe too much to ask. From what I hear you absolutely need a car in LA. I would love to get a really gasoline hungry vintage American car. And maybe even take a road trip across America. Wake up, Sandra, you are dreaming again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my dreams too. we'll see later about the vintage car, my favorite by far too, but the road trip is coming, i can feel it ;-) we are for the moment economically restrained... also i will use my bike a lot which i'm so happy about (so is my body...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live on the border between Nørrebro and Østerbro, and you're right: Østerbro IS the most boring part of the city. So are the people *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah-hah I just can't stay aside)) today i went for the 1st time to Norrebro from my osterbro. The purpose of visit was to check out "the famous" Jægersborggade. Well...I was literally running from there back to my area. Norrebro seemed..gloomy, dirty, even dangerous. I'm so amazed how tastes of people differ!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Expatka, it was bold of you to venture out of Østerbro, haha. If you love the clean cut areas where everything is organised and quiet, I understand how Nørrebro may not be your thing.

    But a street like Jægersborggade is like candy in a wrap, if you get over your initial fear (which I swear is unfounded), you will soon learn that it is not going to swallow you whole, it is still Copenhagen, and there are so many special experiences waiting for you down the street. Like hand made caramel (you can even watch it happen), or paper thin porcelain, the worlds best coffee and a restaurant that has been singled out by the Michelin Guide. Plus the coolest store in Copenhagen (or a contender) CMYK, with tons of illustrations and rare, limited edition prints and books and magazines, not to mention the interior (SO nice).

    If you are not permanently scarred, I suggest you go back another day and give it a second chance. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)