09 May 2010

Organised crime

A while back someone pointed my attention to one of the many inspiring Ted Talks. As the concept dictates, it is a stand and deliver speak (in 18 minutes or less) from brilliant minds in all fields. This is the one of hacker and writer Joshua Klein, on the subject of crows. Stay with me, it gets really good, I promise. Before letting him loose, I will just say he changed the way I perceive obstacles, teaching me to try and make them work to my advantage.




This talk came back to me the other day, as I noticed the truck of my local florist, spray painted in a happy flowery theme. Now, one of the latest playgrounds for Copenhagen taggers and street artists is white trucks and vans. As a car owner you have no choice in the matter and cleaning it up is borderline pointless. If you really want to do something about it, you must catch them in the act. As was the case of my florist: a group of kids had been busy tagging his truck, when he caught them red-handed. But instead of turning them over to the police, and having their parents pay for the cost of restoring his truck, he made them an offer they could not refuse: their punishment was to decorate it properly, and to his satisfaction. I think this would have made the crow speaker proud. And it also makes me think that maybe there is another way to deal with the nuisance than just cleaning it up and labelling it a crime. 


Ullas Blomster / Ullas Flowers



Update: In case you did not read the comments section on this one, here is a cool link.


4 comments:

  1. There is a similar concept at work in Queens, New York at an old warehouse now known as 5Pointz. "5Pointz Aerosol Art Center, Inc. is an outdoor art exhibit space in Long Island City, New York, considered to be the world’s premiere “graffiti Mecca,” where aerosol artists from around the globe paint colorful pieces on the walls of a 200,000-square-foot factory building."

    See more here: http://5ptz.com/graff/about/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kdt,
    How hugely inspiring! Thank you so much for that link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that speech was deeply entertaining,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natasha,

    I am happy that you took the time to hear him out. I love this speech too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)