02 June 2010

Monsters

The oil spill in the gulf is stressing me out. Every day I look for good news, that the hole is plugged or that some small protected bird island caught a break. And when I encounter one of the unnecessary big and gasoline sucking SUVs in the street, I must fight the urge to send the evil eye. The other day I discovered this thing allowing you to superimpose the oil spill over your hometown, just to get an idea about the size. And holy crap, the thing would cover almost all of Denmark! I feel so bad for nature, for the people directly affected by the oil spill, and for the poor guys working in the toxic environment trying to clean it up and shut it down. And the more I learn, the more I understand that this was not an accident, but a foreseeable consequence of unacceptable risk taking (Big Profit). This mural has two monsters:




7 comments:

  1. I think this is the beginning of the end of the world as we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is time for a change. I hope it will be for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it was an absolutely unavoidable consequence of greedy risk taking and the ONLY positive consequence could be that the shock might cause a rethink of the idea that we can have 'cheap and easy' oil. It's a terrible, terrible price to pay though. (And you've taken such a great picture for this post!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Sabine! One can only hope that the consequence will be restraint and rethinking... on the other hand they have gotten away with it before. I am still holding my breath. Poor ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi sandra, sooo busy with the move right now i don't leave comments anymore. anyway i totally agree with your post and feel so sad for the gulf but particularly for louisiana. new orleans (that i only visited once) is very dear to my heart and the people there really didn't need another disaster due to greed.
    and the picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks,as always,for this beautifully written blog. My thoughts exactly.I wish I knew where we were going with this oil addiction.I would love to be a fly on the wall in 100 years time. cheers,Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole, I hope everything is going seamless with the move. And it it good to hear from you, and know that you are around. Thank you for the nice compliment. :-)

    Hi Ian, It makes me so happy to hear that you like my blog, thank you for letting me know. I often think about how we will be perceived when they look back at us a 100 years from now. Did we do enough for the environment and animal- and human rights and so on? I would hope we will not be remembered as a people who simply closed our eyes to the problems. :-) Sandra

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)