08 August 2010

Now and then

For some reason I find "now and then" pictures endlessly fascinating. It can be of people I don't even know, of landscapes, or perhaps best of all of Copenhagen. Years of hunting on Ebay has taught me where and how to catch my prey, and that does not change much whether that is a dress or a good book. Then of course it may just be that I am the nerd of all times, and that this fantastic book I got my hands on would have been mine even if the seller had not misspelled the title. In any case this large magazine-like book came to me all the way from The Americas, packed with sepia toned pictures of "Copenhagen now and then". And much to my surprise "now" turned out to be 1938.

(insert happy dance here)

Here is the text below the first and oldest picture (written in 1938): 50 year old aerial photos is a rarity. This one is taken from an air balloon dispatched from Tivoli during the great Exhibition 1888. The pictures show a terrain now radically changed. In the foreground, at the bottom of the picture is Rudolph Bergs Hospital (from 1886), and behind it the docks. On the other side of Kalvebodstrand the open spaces of Amager. The road on the right leading to Havnekajen is now called Bernstorffsgade.
1888:

And the slightly abbreviated text for the "1938-now": The view 1938 taken from a plane shows the same terrain as the other picture. The hospital and Kalvebodstrand is the only two remaining unchanged. On the right side of Rudolph Berghs Hospital you find the Postal Headquarters, and at the right of that is the railroad terrain leading to the Central Station. Between Rudolph Berghs Hospital and Kalvebodstrand you see the Police Headquarters (with the rounded open yard). The building to the left in the front is Glyptoteket. The trees in the very front grows in Tivoli. On the Amager side the Islands Brygge quarter is taking shape, and the waterside has been trimmed with stone.
1938:


(Click on the pictures to view them larger)
2010:

I am surprised how far Copenhagen has come on such a relatively short time. At the time of the earliest picture, HC Andersen was already dead, meaning his Copenhagen was a lot different than I first imagined.  And in a way, so is mine.

3 comments:

  1. I like the 1938 view the best, with the cranes, I love big industrial buildings and equipment.

    Thank you for sharing Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uden Relevans, you are so welcome, I love the big picture too, even if I often get caught up in the zoom. Oh, and packing advise for Sicily: swimming trunks and me. :-) Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so interesting. it is fascinating...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)