21 September 2010

Nanny my fanny

To my disbelief a proposal is on the table to ban music for cyclists. Allegedly we are a danger to ourselves, so recklessly listening to music while riding. And the spokesperson of transport have been quoted saying he is not unwilling to legislate on this. I am still in a state of chock. How did we get to the point where politicians assume the parenting role? Last time I checked the politicians work for the people, not the other way around. 

And it makes me wonder where this will end? If they can get away with this, they can pretty much get away with anything. Some will argue they already are. It is interesting that following the "logic" of the recent proposal, music should also be banned in cars. There is simply no way you can argue this only applies to bicyclists. One guess if a law like that would ever see the light of day.. Listening to music while bicycling is one of the most liberating things in the world, and there is no way I will ever abide by a rule denying me that choice. They might as well go ahead and throw me in the dungeon right away, because I will be a repeat offender. I consider it my right.

I should come with a warning label

11 comments:

  1. I actually thought it was a joke when I heard that they were ready to pass a bill banning cyclists from listening to music.

    And thats liberal politics? Restricting peoples freedom? I thought liberalism was all about being able to rule your own life.

    HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way this bill will not be passed is if enough people speak up. I hope they do. I know they have not heard the last from me on this. Freeeedooooom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful Denmark, you're starting to sound more like America! :)

    Trust me, that is not what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Portland, I know! It is not what we want. Just another brainchild of the detestable Danish People's Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Werd, nu må det være nok... eller...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra, don't let them do it! it sounds more like France or Italy where they really get away with everything, really everything. Here, in California, you cannot smoke in a car with a minor in it. Well it seems that my parents would have spent all their money in tickets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will do everything I can for this stupid, stupid proposal not to make it. Smoking in the car sounds a lot like my grandparents too, haha, heavy air from cigarillos, and not even a cracked window. That may be one of the main reasons I am a never-ever-non-smoker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Australia, helmets became compulsory only because there was an enormous amount of money to be made in selling a $2 piece of foam for 60 bucks. The reality is , there is no money to be made in banning ipods and an enormous number of people to piss off, not to mention the music industry.I think they would struggle to get this proposal across the line. cheers ,Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ian, I agree with you that money is the force behind most decisions in politics. But then there is also the Power Factor, when evil doers want their crazy way, just to show the world they can. Any fight the opposers put up will only serve to keep the bad seeds in the spotlight (I say bad seeds, because this is the brainchild of the extreme right wing the Danish People's Party). If you look at the disaster we had with the youth house here, the superior monster lost money but gained fame by fighting the peaceful solution, and today she is a household name.

    But I hope you are right, that the idea will be put to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You spoke my words, Sandra! It is a human right to listen to music while biking. This ludicrous proposal was of course made by DF, who else? Just as I refuse to wear a helmet (luckily not a law-YET!) I will refuse to abide if they decide to ban music on bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Drumstick, there is just no way in hell I will climb into one of those ridiculous plastic hats either. At one point someone has got to look into the facts about helmets, and perhaps inject some common sense into the equasion? Also, by saying that you can't ride a bike without listening to every single disturbance on the road, this would also have to apply to the hard of hearing. And what cruel joke is that? I hereby rest my case.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)