02 November 2010

Car lurking

I am a confessed car lurker and I have been as far back as I can remember. It is all about the old cars, you know the ones made at a time when you could actually tell them apart. I love everything about them, the way they sound, look and feel, and the heavenly smell inside, that may just be partly motor oil. For some reason there are a lot of them in my neighbourhood, but unlike the ones collected and stored in mansions outside the city, these are in daily use. And my experience is that the people driving these beautiful cars behave much nicer on the road. They are not leaning on the horn, cutting off bicyclists or racing down the street. Cool drivers just don't.

Lately I have noticed a new thing on these old cars: the single sticker, placed in just the right spot, with the same precision as a beauty mark. Look at these guys. I am in love.

Okay, this is not the oldest car in my portfolio, but look at that coolness! And the bike popping out, haha.

Run to me
Highly lurkable automobile
Volkswagen bus

Obviously this is not about the greatness of the picture, but rather that of the car... 

Moose sticker
8 ball cover

Look at these eyelashes. So sweet!

Citroën 2CV

One of the locals.

Butterfly door 2CV
2CV café creme

And a visitor, café creme, with whitewall tyres, vintage American gangster movie style.

Not so fine

Welcome to the neighbourhood. 

I am crazy late for an evening I have been looking so much forward to, but I wanted to post this first (nothing makes as heartbreaking a noise as a hungry blog, I swear). It is a meeting between Danish comedian Frank Hvam, and the editor of Jyllands Posten, Flemming Rose, the man responsible for publishing the Mohammed cartoons. Gotta run!

12 comments:

  1. The green sticker was part of a campaign for better traffic behaviour YEARS ago, the sign you see the fingers making, was the sign of the campaign and you were supposed to acknowledge nice behaviour with this sign.

    Unfortunately people who received the sign and who had not seen the campaign thought their fellow trafficists where flipping them the bird.

    Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi you, I know it does not happen often, but in this case I believe you are wrong. The sticker is the logo of This Issue, one of the coolest stores on Norrebro. This was also right where the car was parked.

    I even made a post about it here:
    http://classiccopenhagen.blogspot.com/2010/04/stars-and-stripes.html

    But don't let that keep you from greeting people in traffic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. here they have stickers on their bumpers, telling "How am I driving?" followed by a phone #. Many times they are driving badly, but who's going to call???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carole, I fail to see the point of a sticker like that.. Why would you put that on your car? If you drive like a madman, you are making things worse for yourself, and if not, what.. you are looking for praise? What am I missing here? (oh, I love getting educated about foreign customs, keep it coming) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets forget about the lead and everything... They are just wonderful cars! I don't know why these days they all look the same - they need a beauty mark sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Sabine, exactly! I have a dream that one day they will relaunch the exact same shapes, but perhaps with an updated engine of sorts. How hard would that be, really? And how great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra look here...

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10292615967#!/photo.php?fbid=26558386927&set=o.10292615967

    Thats the sign I am talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Uden Relevans,

    I know the sign you are talking about. In a way it is funny with a campaign trying to teach us handsigns in traffic. My favorite is not there (haha).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandra, I think the cars they are driving are belonging to the company they are working for. Maybe their boss thinks they will drive carefully if they have the sticker (not true), or maybe it's just hypocrisy... But those are my guess.
    Just came across this (talk about foreign culture!)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6197921.stm
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, Carole, "Paris Syndrome", that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I can't help but wonder if it is a clever joke? Poor Japanese women, dreaming of a civilized world, and getting dog poo and arrogant waiters, haha.

    On the carsticker, that makes more sense, I would totally rat the f*ckers out if they drowe like maniacs. I see some close calls here, sometimes, especially from taxidrivers (young guys, high on the Mercedes power), that warrants a phone call.

    Thank you for the good laugh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have a 2CV and I miss it madly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yes, Mikael, I can just picture you in a 2CV. My first and only car was a Mini, the vintage edition, and I miss that madly too. They both sound good on the road too, wreeeooom.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)