01 February 2011

The Princess and the toothpaste

Okay... that whole early-spring-fever-thing a couple of posts back was a classic case of jumping the gun, if there ever was one. With no snow, but a covered sky and biting frost I spend the last couple of days looking for the silver lining, but I have to report it has escaped me. That and I am out of toothpaste, and that can only mean one thing: I need to get out of town, if only for a few days.

The toothpaste thing started sometime in the last century, when I started buying toothpaste on my travels. And ever since then I have had this symphony of toothpastes to choose from, so that every night is like a new trip. My mouth never really knows what to expect when I head for the brush, and my mind always wander to the location I bought it. Strangely the timing of the pastes never fails, when I am running on empty, I get the travel itch.

I want to see Madrid, but that will have to wait until it gets a little warmer. And I want to go to Berlin this year. And Toronto. And Stockholm. It is not that I don't love Copenhagen, but to fully appreciate it means leaving once in a while. The upside of living in a small country is that your neighbours are never far away, and tickets come cheap. If only I had not developed such a taste for luxury accommodations. I can't afford to be such a Princess, dammit. But I am.


(dreaming of Paris)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra.
    A clean mouth in every port ;)
    If you do end up in Toronto, you should make a quick skip to Montreal. Here it is called dentifrice... and Crest/Colgate/Aquafresh is just said with a French accent. I promise that we are nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you are in Montreal? I have heard fantastic things about your city too. I will definitely let you know if I make it there, and of course pick up some exotic (to me) dentifrice. I will do my best to travel more this year, and see new places, and not just go back to my old loves like Paris and Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no, come to B.C.! There's like 80 times less snow, haha. But actually Montreal is like the best city I've ever been to. It's top 2, tied with Mexico City.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I was born and bred here! As much as I love your city, I am also very proud of Montreal. It is pretty cool- especially during the summer jazz fest time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like there is a whole world to be discovered in Canada? Must look into that trip :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my son's toothpaste is European, I buy it in Paris or I ask people to bring some... That's a fabulous idea. I wouldn't recommend Canada during the winter. Come to California! We'll find some organic handmade by hippies toothpaste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no Carole, I am no good with hippies, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me neither, but here in Los Angeles, the hippies are chic, and so funny to look at! (I'm not talking about Oregon where I've been told they have REAL hippies)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)