14 March 2011

Eyes only

If it wasn't for the unexpected turn of events, the biannual outdoor flea market yesterday in Ravnsborggade would have been somewhat of a disappointment. First off I had no idea that Kim Antons the cool antique store on the corner had a 400 square meter basement. Twenty years ago this street was all antique shops, and people came here from all over the world to scoop up the crown jewels. In the end it wasn't even affordable to the locals, so when they slowly started going out of business it didn't feel like the greatest loss. Later came the fashion stores, and then the bars and the brewery. Funny thing is that with a few exceptions these places are not so crowded with locals either. The brewery even take their customers in big tourist buses (oh, they run like scared mice from the bus to make it to safety because this is Nørrebro you know, with the guns). Now I wish we could go back to the crazy antique dealing days. Never a dull moment.

Anyway, back to the basement: stepping into it was like entering a play in a theatre, roaming fire in the open fireplace, candle lights and more antique toys, stuffed animals, furniture, signs and paintings than you can imagine. One of the guys there saw my excitement and told me that I hadn't seen nothing yet. "There is a secret warehouse not far from here full of old uniforms, mannequins and props we rent out for movie productions". "Would you like to see it"? Hm.. let me think. My camera tried to keep up, but the time was short and the light was tricky so this is not my best work, but I hope you get the picture anyway. I still can't quite believe that there are places like that around in Copenhagen (three levels, balconies and crazy windows). I could totally live there.

Envy

Tub action




The great outdoors. See that vintage telephone booth in the corner?





I am going to try and adopt this girl, arms or no arms she clearly wants to live in my house.


Clearly.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing :) I love having the opportunity to find and experience sort of secret treasures like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it was like stepping into a time machine, or being transported to one of those fantastic flea markets in the south of France. Dreamy. I'm glad you like it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the shells in the background on the second last picture, a 40 Mm and two 75 mm dating from at least before WWI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eye goes straight to the fantastic trapeze mannequin, I did not even notice the shells before you pointed them out. Weapons and ammo freak me out, even when they are no longer in use...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh this is fantastic. I like hidden treasures. I didn't see the weapons either, but they seem harmless (is that the trick?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shells are hopefully empty, or whatever the expression is, but even so.. you know they were made for taking lives. On the other hand so were the guns in the big heart sculpture, but that one does not gives me the shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, in my fantasy world I have an ambiguous relation to violence. in my real world, I can't stand it even a little bit. And photography is sometimes fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the same for me actually, now that I think of it. Strange how weapons and violence in an abstract context or on TV or fiction is normal, but just a glimpse of a loaded gun, or a regular fist fight in the street is such a chock. I am glad that I am not completely numb yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)