23 July 2011

The enemy within

Terrorists are nothing but bullies. Regardless of their delusion of choice, they are all the same: fear mongering cowards in a pursuit to end democracy. This time around it was a home-grown right-wing nutcase targeting defenceless and isolated children (13-14 year olds) on a small Norwegian island, taking down at least 85, with the numbers still climbing. I still can't wrap my head around it, and it brings back the sadness I felt on 9/11. No matter how far away it was, it was an attack on all of us, and this is how it feels today.

When I heard about the initial government bombing, I half suspected that it was by some religious fanatic. But when I learned that it was the deed of a right-wing extremist, I was not surprised. The rhetoric and fear mongering of these parties have spun out of control. And no more so than here with the recent reinstatement of border control, and the flaming hatred towards all things foreign. Scaring people out of their wits to manipulate them into giving up human rights and -behavior is an everyday occurrence here. I think of it as legal terror.

Perhaps it is time to re-think the face of our enemy, and make some serious adjustments. Perhaps this tragedy will be the turning point. My heart is with you Norway.

Eternal love

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)