10 August 2011

Pigs

At the free outdoor electronic music festival Stella Polaris this weekend, the presenters was pleading with the audience to Pick. Up. The. Trash. They repeated this towards the end: "If you don't pick it up, we won't return next year". I am so embarrassed that it even needs to be said, but somebody's mom clearly forgot to teach the basics. It is worse than ever, and not a day goes by that I don't see someone getting up and leaving piles of crap behind, or just dumping it on the go. Yesterday as I was rushing in the opposite direction I spotted a small family of three, the father unwrapping a Popsicle and openly dumping the paper as they walked on. I was not about to risk my life in traffic stopping and turning, but they did get a good yell: PIGS.

And this is why some people (who don't read this blog, haha) might mistake me for a crazy person, they don't see who earned the outburst, they just see a girl on a bike yelling out profanities for no apparent reason. But somebody has got to do it, I am sure you agree. How else are we going to turn this thing around?

Pure fishing

Pure fishing...

10 comments:

  1. I saw some kids come out from the local bakery, taking their bread out of the bags, and just letting the bags drop and be carried away by the wind.

    I am a little ashamed I didnt yell at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand why you didn't. You have to be in the mood, and be willing to look crazy.. You are not the one who should feel ashamed, they are. It is all the little things they drop during the day that makes it all look like a pig sty. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though my danish is less-than-perfect, I still admonish people. As soon as my danish becomes better, I will get even harder on people. I can't stand all the trash. Remember Kødbyn a couple months back, after the festival? I nearly cried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi jellyfishheart, there are many ways to show your disapproval, without even using words. Doing nothing is like saying it is no big deal, if nobody tells them different, it will never stop. Imagine carrying around a 200watt spotlight (maybe tinted?), and lighting it on litter pigs, follow them for a while with the beam of shame, so that everyone will know what they did. And maybe a mocking soundtrack for the daytime? Ah, sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. -Sandra, I like the spotlight concept! Perhaps next step would be a megaphone, and while keeping the light on the pig, say "Excuse me sir, you dropped something!"
    By the way: Did the Stella Polaris announcers plea work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Drumstick, it would totally work, I am convinced of it. Maybe just for starters on a few locations, like Nørreport station, where people get away with pretty much anything. I wouldn't mind donating a day to that eksperiment, somebody hand me a megaphone!

    I don't know if the SP plea worked, because I left when it ended, but I did notice a lot of volunteers picking up after people, but that doesn't count..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Future Copenhagen ResidentAugust 15, 2011

    It's also a dad's responsibility to teach his kids not to litter...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most kids relate to mom to picking up their trash, unfortunately. But if dad is around, I agree it is his responsibility too. Whole other subject, there..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandra, I saw people react like you in Switzerland, and I saw a group of people chasing a woman who didn't clean after her dog. I'm not really fond of Switzerland after living there for 2 years, but they were well educated in that matter.
    As for my son, he is repeating "littering is bad" so much that he'd better not do it... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It only shows you that people care about their city, that they are protective about it. Sometimes you can feel like you are the only one who cares, and it can be hard to find the energy to say something. But mostly I just feel the urge to name that pig.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)