13 March 2012

Firsts

The exiting thing about living with four seasons is all the firsts. My spring highs consists of the first soft ice (not there yet), first spring flowers (snowdrops, crocus and eranthis), the first window cleaning (so not there yet, haha) and the return of the outdoor flea markets. First one of the year was Sunday, right down my street, and I really couldn't be bothered to rush it. How strange is that? It was too close to home for me to feel stressed, so I only got there by the end.


Current obsession: mirror images and reflections. As you have probably noticed..


Ah, how much better that shot would have been without the car. 


More and more of the local antique stores are going out of business and fashion stores, galleries and cafés are taking over. The market had a little too much fashion mixed in for my taste, giving the old fleas the feel of a fashion outlet, ugh. The funny thing though, is how the locals set up improvised shops on the sidewalks, making it more of a community event. It has been my dream for a while to launch "Swap Sundays" on the playground, something half flea market and half swapping event. Maybe I will pull myself together and do something about it. Can't you just see it happening? And maybe some of the small bikeshops will come along and sell us fresh pancakes and hot coffee?


Collecting cosy, cool and funny hangers has lost its charm, the world has caught on, and they have become too expensive. On to the next overlooked item, that is where the fun is. I got three cigar boxes full of developed film in 1950s paper containers, that a seller was about to throw out. Free is the new cheap.


9 comments:

  1. Yes, we had our first sunny days here in Paris. They were free! I miss the garage sales we had in Santa Monica every Saturday. Here in France you can't improvise, you have to have authorization and most of the time rent your spot. I so like the freshness of last minute decisions sometimes. Collecting hangers???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collecting is such a serious word. I just discovered how much fun it is to have many and different and beautiful old hangers in your closet. Especially the vintage Danish plastic ones, in all the colors of the rainbow. The pink dress goes on the pink hanger etc so they are so easy to locate.

      I think we need to ask permission too, and that makes it dreary, but I also imagine it can be obtained with a little persistance. Now that I said it out loud, I may need to see it done, haha.

      Delete
  2. Vi fandt heller ikke noget i søndags, men det er et sikkert tegn på forår når lige præcis det loppemarked kommer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det er nemlig et af de sikre tegn. Så hyggeligt. :-)

      Delete
  3. Last Sunday I went to a clothing swap that some of my Danish girl friends here had organized... it was such a cool thing! I had never done that before, but it was super hyggelig and I really liked the concept. It's even cooler to think of expanding it to more than just clothes. I totally support Swap Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you support the idea! I do think it could work, with all kinds of things. It is recycling at its best, I could even see myself swap stuff for a piece of homebaked cake or a cup of coffee, while hanging out in the sun. And it would be a great opportunity for the locals to meet up, too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately I've experienced the same trend in Stockholm regarding the decreased number of small antique shops/thrift stores. I feel we'll end up with only the posh or trendy ones left in the city.
    I like hangers from old hotels that are no more. That's pretty cool. I'd consider collecting them but maybe it's a big collectors field. I don't know.
    Happy springtime to you, Sandra.
    (We've even had a glimpse of spring up here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are exactly the ones that got me into the game to begin with. With the name of the hotel or tailor branded into the wood, mmmm. You can still find them, and it is a real rush handling them on a daily basis. Good for the clothes too. Ah, old hangers, I could go on, haha.

      It is too bad with the loss of the cool and affordable thrift stores, I don't much care for the fancy ones, where everything is cherry picked and too expensive, it sucks the fun out of it. Maybe local swap- and flea markets is the future?

      A really happy springtime to you too. :-)

      Delete
  5. [...]all the firsts[...] lovely words making my mind blow away to a journey of discovery...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)