11 March 2012

Østerbro

Lately I have been exploring the borough Østerbro, and I am beginning to think I may have been to hard on it. It still don't see myself living there, but I finally understand why some people would want to. For the elderly it must be comforting how it is like time stands still, like living in a film set of the last century. There is a polished politeness to it all, if you know what I mean?

Cafe Bopa

Voila


I wish we would see more of this neighborhood pride on Nørrebro.

And I get why small families would want to live on Østerbro as well. Where else would you have a giant sculpted wooden fruit garden for the children?

Fruit garden playground

How great is this?

Bananas

Apple

Wooden apple

With an orange, some pears and a small strawberry plantation peeking out in the back. So cool, Østerbro!

The thing I have overlooked somehow, is that Østerbro is more than neat little candy colored houses. There is a wild side too, with an industrial area and a waterfront. I simply had to push through all the neatness to get to it. Actually I was looking for a well hidden piece of Bert, that I had been alerted to, but I couldn't find it (that will teach him for leaving it out of my reach, haha). Instead, I found this:


Ecco call




Once spring really sets in, I am going to look into this area some more. I have a feeling I am turning a whole new leaf of Copenhagen here...



14 comments:

  1. "Se Østerbro og dø!" Nej, men se Nordhavn inden det hele bliver til fine lejligheder og Lagkagehuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, Nordhavn bliver klart den næste der ryger. Det er synd at der ikke er en mere aktiv politik omkring at bevare bare noget, i et prisleje hvor en fattigrøv kan være med. Det er ulækkert.

      Delete
  2. Nej, Østerbro er ikke noget dårligt sted :) Jeg er selv vokset op der, og bliver nogle gange lidt ked af, at folk taler så dårligt om det. Det har jo masser af spændende sider, på trods af dyre caféer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det forstår jeg godt. Sådan har jeg det jo selv med København som helhed, eller Danmark, faktisk. Bliver helt sløj når folk begynder at hakke løs. Men nu siger jeg undskyld til Østerbro. Det er jo også København, og slet ikke så "udrenset" som jeg var bange for.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that fruit garden is amazing! That first photo of the industrial area looks positively Soviet :) Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I know, it was a surprise to me too. Not a cosy bike ride, but the wilderness is worth it.

      Delete
  4. Sandra dear,
    It´s the biggest piece I´ve ever made and it´s not at all hidden!! Try the corner of Kalkbrænderihavnsgade and Dampfærgevej!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't really matter how big the piece is, if the location is so secret that I can't find it. Kalkbrænderihavnsgade is a long and mean MF, but I am willing to give it another go. Why would you hide it all the way out there, anyway? Haha.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sandra

    Only just started following your blog. Love the pictures of the giant wooden fruit! I might have a go at making some myself to liven up the sleepy village where I live!

    Tak

    Pete Martin (Filkins, UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete, welcome to the party. If you know how to make giant wooden fruit, I would say you should get on it right away. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hej Sandra! I used to live in Østerbro and totally loved it. You should check out Aarhusgade- it definitely missed the "politeness" memo! There are some great murals (at least there were when I lived there) and a fantastic play park with a ship to play on. Also, you have to get fresh seafood from the docks (early Saturday morning!).... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej Celena, I am going to make a note of Aarhusgade (glad to hear it missed the memo, haha). And the seafood thing is news to me. Maybe because I am not a morning person. Now I have to check it out, thanks for the tip. :D

      Delete
  7. Sandra, you got to check out the whole Nordhavn area. Many cool gems there. Nothing to do with Østerbro though, but it can be an inspiring place to go (shameless plug: http://www.flickr.com/photos/larsdaniel/7146319047/in/photostream/lightbox/ ).
    I agree that the giant fruits at Bopa look really cool, but as a playground it simply does not work. I have two funloving creative kids (11 and 5) and when we pass by there is always some joke about how boring that playground is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there is so much uncovered ground in Copenhagen still. Nordhavn is definitely on my to do list! The fruit garden may not be the best playground for older kids, but the toddlers (just up and walking?) I spotted seemed really exited about it. Maybe it is not even a playground? Maybe it is just misunderstood art? :D

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)