18 April 2012

Minding manners

Copenhagen is seeing an unfortunate increase in what I can only describe as piggish behavior. Like men spitting on the sidewalks. Accompanied by the loud and unmistakable sound that comes from deep down, the forming stage, and followed by the delivery, the swoosh as they project it at the ground. Sometimes even maintaining eye contact! Or when they empty their nose cavities on bike (!), rarely bothering to look back, just one finger on the nostril and blow. The key appears to be doing so with great force.

This is a clear case of an unwritten rule that stopped being enforced. It was not always like this, but since no one ever brings it up, or suggests it is uncool, it has literally exploded. Snot everywhere, and the sounds... almost worse. I think it comes from (watching) soccer. You certainly don't see women behaving this way (yet... I shudder). When I hear that sound building, I know what is to follow, and I always make an involuntary face of disgust.

Where am I going with this? Haha. Well, on one of the flea markets in Paris, I heard that all to familiar sound again, and my face did its thing. A woman standing next to me agreed: gross. What is it, another woman inquired, approaching. Oh, it is a nightmare, the way they spit right at your feet. Yes, I know, it is disgusting! Bad upbringing, is what it is. We all shook our heads in disapproval.

I was so happy! Here is a people who have not yet grown accustomed to this unseemly behavior, it is still a subject. And I am sure that if we stopped behaving like it was normal or acceptable to dispense of ones snot in public, it would not happen so frequently. Is a little snot-control too much to ask, gentlemen? Ah, I really needed to get that out of my system, thank you. On to the fantastic fleas:

Aux Puces Europennes

Soft rubber dolls

Tied to the ground

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

You know how I say that I am over wanting and owning stuff? And from now on flea markets are all about taking pictures? Less is more? And yada yada...

Untitled

...HANGERS!

I want all of them!


18 comments:

  1. Er vild med den flyvende kjoledame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Der var så svinsk mange lækre ting på de lopper, altså! Hvis jeg havde plads (og knaster)(og en kassevogn at transportere det hjem i)(nå, nej, hvis jeg boede i Paris, jo) så havde jeg revet af hylderne.

      Delete
  2. Hørt!
    Jeg mener at det i Beijing og Hong Kong er forbudt at spytte på gaden. Du får prompte en bøde, hvis du blir' taget på fersk gerning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armen det er da for ULÆKKERT? Jeg kigger mindst lige så meget efter snotklatter som hundelorte nu, når jeg skal undvige. Nå, der skal nok være nogen der bliver stødt over det her, haha.

      Delete
  3. Another reason to love France, I guess! I HATE snot stuff. It's grosser to me than blood and guts. Seriously!! AAAHHH

    The only place I think it's acceptable to do the nose-blow thing is when you're playing hockey, but that might just be the small-town Canadian upbringing. I mean, it's cold in there and you don't have time to stop for a tissue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wonder how we got to this place where it is okay. Can you imagine riding your bike behind someone doing the nose thing? If the wind is not right, you are in for a shower. GROSS!

      I understand that it needs to go when you are doing sports, running and whatever. But not on the street, right in front of people, man. Not cool.

      Delete
  4. Although I dislike most of it, there are very charming places in Paris - I recommend la Butte aux Cailles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I went there, lots of good stuff.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I couldn't agree with you more! This disgusting habit is very prevalent here in the US. Especially amongst the jocks and rednecks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have always been spitters here too, but they used to be further apart, and always among the less... refined. Now it has spread to everybody. I will never get used to it, nor will my face, haha.

      Delete
  6. I agree about the snot-spits: very gross! Especially when anyone can be down wind of them. Good thing about when hockey players do it (since I am also Canadian, I also let it go more at the hockey rink) is that the spectators are protected by the plexiglass (I am sure that is why they put it up- not for the pucks but for the snot ;) ). It does, however, make you wonder what the hell they are skating on after a while ;)
    I always love the flea market shots :) and hangers are functional and take up so little space.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha exactly: snot belongs on the playing field, any game goes, or in private. At least one can be discreet about it.

      I love my hangers, not over that yet apparently. It is like I know myself again now. :-)

      Delete
  7. Yes, the snot and spit here are out of control too. I'd say at least once a week I see some guy on a bike shoot a snot rocket (as we say) right in the crosswalk as they're waiting for a traffic light (in the crosswalk, which is illegal, and annoying for people trying to cross the street, but happens constantly). I'm with you on attempting to reverse this trend by shame, ridicule, any means necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A snot rocket? Eeeew, haha, what a fitting expression. I have a feeling that people think I am just being oversensitive when it comes to this issue. When really it is the world who has become desensitised.

      Anyway, my face will never stop making the "eeek grimace" when it happens. It is beyond my control. :-)

      Delete
  8. I also wish we had anything resembling real flea markets here. Sadly, no one exist :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have guessed that. Maybe you just have to try and get it started?

      Delete
  9. Coming from Africa I am astonished at the number of people (yes, I have seen some women doing so, especially when they exercise) who spit on the streets here. Do they not realise that not only is it bad manners but also very unhygienic? How do you think e.g. tuberculosis is transmitted? Nope, it is one of those idiosyncrasies of Danish society I cannot get used to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that foreigners see it more clearly than the natives, by now. I have heard about women doing it during outdoor exercise, but at least they don't do it in plain clothes, or riding their bike, in passing. Like men.

      Now that you mention it, I see the hygienic issue as well. Ah, it is just all over gross, thank you for supporting me in that.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)