14 April 2012

The unwritten rules

The beauty of unwritten rules is that they are shaped by nothing more than common sense and the society which upholds them. I respect and even like these rules so much more than anything the legislators come up with. Sometimes it seems like they pass laws simply because they can, and only rarely do they admit they are in the wrong (thankfully they did in the case of the stinky knife law, at least now we no longer risk jail time if we for some reason happen to carry a box cutter around).

Stripping us of the option to administer common sense does nothing but belittle us and turn us lazy, or even defiant. And the funny thing is that rules that don't make sense never make it to the sanctity of the unwritten ones. One of my favorite unwritten rules are how no matter what, you never use the horn on funeral processions or horse drawn carriages. And. No matter how much he slows you down, you never ever use the horn on the hot dog vendor.

Morfars pølser

Grandpa's wieners.


 

10 comments:

  1. Those are the best weiners in the world! We didn't have morfars when we were there though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really ought to make a little noise for the organic hot dog vendor "DØP", soon. The yummiest hot dogs you have ever tasted, guaranteed.

      Delete
  2. Jeg elsker altså din blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvor er det stort altså, mange tak.

      Delete
  3. Does that really say "grandpa's weiners"? LOL!! We have a guy in town whose cart says "Mister Tube Steak"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it says grandpa's sausages (worse?), but weiners have a better ring to it, I think. As far as I know, it is the same thing. :D

      Delete
  4. HaHa! I have my mind in the gutter ;) No one would have the guts to honk at a hot dog vendor as these brave souls have saved many a sorry drunk person (myself included). It would be blasphemous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, hot dog vendors saved my life more than once too, on late nights. I doubt it though that grandpa does the late shift, but maybe in his earlier days? They used to park around the corner from me, and I still get weak when I hear the small engine pass wrrrrrrr, soooo sloooow. :-)

      Delete
  5. This is something we don't have nearly enough of in Portland, though there is a really good restaurant that serves only hot-dogs, and they are delicious. Their Chicago Dog is to die for.

    You'd think with the boom of food carts here, there would be more hot-dog vendors. Oh well.

    I'm pretty sure though, that he'd get honked at here if he slowed anyone down. Not a funeral procession, though - at least something is still sacred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hot dog vendor is a big city stable as far as I am concerned. There used to be a lot of them, but they appear to be a dying breed. I hope they stick around. I also need to tell everyone about the organic hot dog vendor DØP, he makes the yummiest hot dogs you can imagine, with sourdough bread and homemade relish and mashed roots on the side. Mmh. Why am I always hungry? Ugh!

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)