25 May 2012

Tivoli

This is strange: I can't even write about Tivoli without getting emotional. The old amusement garden is loaded with childhood memories for me, and fearing that it had changed so much over time that the spirit would somehow have vanished, I have been keeping my distance. But yesterday I finally went ahead and splurged on a season pass. Already in the ticket office, I choked up. Next to me at the counter was the sweetest old lady renewing her membership, all dressed up for the occasion. So respectful of the old garden. I had to sneak a picture.

Untitled

Instantly causing me to miss my grandparents. They were the ones who introduced me to Tivoli.

Before we move on, you need to see this:


I spotted it at the ticket office, a mini sheet stamp with the Tivoli characters Harlequin and Pjerrot on my bridge. Sold out. Must. Hunt. Down. Every single postoffice in town until I get my hands on it!

Entering with my brand new pass, I was greeted by the friendliest ticket controllers you can imagine, all bubbly and welcoming. These things matter. And all of two minutes in, I choked up again. Seriously. The Pantomime Theatre with the giant peacock is still there, as a familiar greeting. I knew it would be, of course, I was just not prepared to get so emotional about it. It was a crazy sunny day, with lots of weird shadows, so this will be mostly detail shots. But then you are used to that by now.

Untitled

I like how Tivoli is big enough to have something for everyone. As a child I couldn't care less if it was also a garden, it was all about the sweets and the rides. You didn't want to walk anywhere, you ran, pushing for the grown ups to catch up. The sweets never lost their appeal, but now I don't really care about the rides. It is all about the garden, the fountains, the smells, the sounds, the old lamps, the woodwork and the classic Tivoli details. Ugh, I guess that means I am a grown up now.

Tivoli flora

Rosa Sentimental. Yes, I am.

Untitled

The rides and the old lamps.

Okay, so some things had taken a turn for the worse. I do think they crammed in too much stuff around the beautiful old fountain in the centre of the garden. Some things should be allowed space to breathe. Maybe someday they will correct that. At least the old if-you-get-lost-we-meet-at-the-fountain fountain is still there.

Cotton candy grain

Cotton candy grain. That smell, mmm classic Tivoli.

Pork sandwich

And the pork sandwich, the grown up version of my mandatory Tivoli experience. I am powerless.

I always have to stop by Andedammen (the duck pond) just to say hello, and make sure they are still afloat. As a child, fishing for the ducks was a must. Even if you didn't catch three with matching bottoms in the right color, you won something, and felt like a monster duck hunter.

The Duck Pond

Classic Tivoli

Diamond checkers, it just wouldn't be Tivoli without them.

Vintage Tivoli lamps

And finally: the famous restaurant Grøften, 125 years old, and still going strong. 

Grøften

The classic colored light bulbs are my favorite Tivoli detail, I hope they never replace them. I would even make a deal with the environment to never own a car, if it meant that we could keep some of these bulbs around. Okay, then? Okay.

Sign detail

Crazy nostalgia.

Now that I have a pass, you can expect a lot more Tivoli goodness coming your way.

I won't be able to stop myself.

(Link to Tivoli)

 

21 comments:

  1. I recently discovered the Jardin d'acclimatation in Paris that I never went to. Rides, beautiful gardens and playgrounds, maybe they are brothers? Good to see you back on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does feel like I have been absent lately. From myself as well. But now I am returning, my brain started working, and I seem to be able to solve the crappy problems that come my way. Everything is just so much easier with a fully functioning brain.

      Delete
  2. Jeg småhader Tivoli, men nøjj de dameben og hvide sko er nuttede!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hemmeligheden er at vælge sine øjeblikke med omhu. Fredagsrock kan godt være en ulækker og alt for proppet oplevelse. Mens en rolig hverdagseftermiddag er ren memory lane flødeskum, mmm.

      Og de fine sko, og den gule kjole, jeg døde. Og hun var så sprudlende og glad. Sådan var verden måske før den gik af lave?

      Delete
  3. Happy flashback ;)

    I love Tivoli! It manages to preserve a bit of innocence that is not often seen anymore. I also love Bakken.... it is definitely worth a trip out to Klampenborg to see that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a happy flashback for me too, as you can tell. Bakken is a different story, more rowdy and not quite as innocent. But maybe it is all about the mood and the company, I haven't been to Bakken in 10 years, I think. The amusement park part, at least.

      Delete
  4. Hey, I too have one of those passes. Tivoli together maybe? Do you have pink sunglasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, we should definitely check out Tivoli. I feel like I have been handed the keys to (all of) the city with this pass, haha. It was about time, anyway.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh, when I inevitably come to visit in Copenhagen, I'll make sure that is on my list of things to see. I assume you can buy just a 1 day pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely, I just realized I forgot to add a link to Tivoli, I will have to correct that! You can buy a day pass too, with or without access to all the rides. It is only open in the summer period, then they close down, and re-open part of it for Halloween and Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Jeg fik lige et flashback til mine barndomsture i Tivoli, fx den gang, hvor min ballon fløj op i et træ, og min onkel prøvede at kravle op efter den.

    Tak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Åh, hvor hyggeligt. Det er en ren flashback have. :-)

      Delete
  7. Ah, the Tivoli ducks! We used to go there in teams: one would use the rod to tip the ducks just enough for the other to see the colour on the belly and fish the three winning ones. Our girlfriends were duly impressed by the mega teddy bears we would bring home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, my poor innocent duck pond. I don't think I ever won anything bigger than a peacock feather. But even that was quite something, back then. Ah.

      Delete
  8. Dejlige billeder! Jeg skal vist også i Tivoli snart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det er helt vild luksus at have et Tivoli pas, jeg glæder mig allerede til næste gang.

      Delete
  9. Yes, you are Rosa Sentimental. I love the photos of Tivoli. It reminds me of a similar park that was in my hometown of Indianapolis. I don't recall the year they closed the park, but then it just sat there falling into ruin for decades. Eventually the city demolished the park.....so sad. Many fond memories from that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, heartbreak. I try to imagine how I would feel if this happened to Tivoli... shudder. At least no one can demolish your memories.

      Delete
  10. Just spotted THE stamp on online post dk shop (netbutik)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link (it appears to be sold out/not available now). Fortunately I did find it at the large postoffice on Købmagergade in the centre of the city. I was so happy when I got it, and went straight home and put it in a drawer... haha. What is it with this need to own stuff, I wonder?

      :-)

      Delete
    2. Post dk netbutik was out for a while, but now it's back in business and I just scored some of these awesome tivoli stamps! To be sent to friends missing DK, but still, yeah, I'll probably keep one for me.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)