10 June 2012

Carlsberg

After moving the beer production out of Copenhagen, Carlsberg is developing into a city of its own. I subscribe to the Carlsberg City newsletter and I applaud the many initiatives, but after many a bumpy ride up and down the cobblestones leading to the famous Elephant Gate, I had sort of given up on ever finding a way in. Seriously, the signage at that place is a joke. My previous attempt was last year, and as I left the premises I was screaming profanities all the way out, haha. I was so angry. 

The signage haven't improved, apparently it is still a big secret how to get there, but yesterday I finally managed. There should have been a brass band in place marking the event, or something. I came to hear a photographer speak, but all of ten minutes in, I was itching to sneak out and point my own camera at something. Sitting still for lectures, taking notes, not participating... it just drives me crazy. I left my blogging friend AmarOrama in her seat, and pretended I had to go to the bathroom.

Red wine cleanup

Look, a bathroom present: someone spilled red wine. This was a sure sign that I had made the right move.
Grimy-window-filter

View from the bathroom. There is no filter quite like the grimy window. Very 1970s, mmm.

City forest

View from the 5th floor, a city forest. 

And the urban beach. I wonder if it is ever in use?

Carlsberg urban beach

Carlsberg urban beach

The lecture was part of Copenhagen Photo Festival and the building was scattered with photographs. Some suspended in the air, and kept in line with hex nuts and heavy bolts.

Hex nut balance

(Taking pictures of other photographers work feels like cheating, it just feels wrong.. is that strange?) The building is abandoned, completely peeled, with the feel of a giant indoor parking space. Industrial in that sexy way. Still, it was the view that demanded my full attention.

Untitled

Untitled

And outside the yum continued.

Galleri Nicolaj Wallner
Untitled

Gallery Nicolai Wallner. Crazy good.

As it has been the case with quite a few things that I tend to avoid, I ended up really happy that I went. Otherwise I would have missed all this. And now that I finally lost my Carlsberg cherry, I will definitely return and explore it further. I will just have to give them a little time to organize that brass band.

Links:
Copenhagen Photo Festival 7th to 17th of June 2012

8 comments:

  1. Ha, din snyder. Jeg troede, du gik på toilettet! Men vildt fine billeder, du fik taget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, tak. Tænkte at det var mere uhøfligt at genere hans foredrag med hviskende forklaringer. :D

      Delete
  2. Ah that Gallery Nicolai Wallner wall is a real treat! I saw that fantastic Helmut Newton exhibition last friday and found myself annoyed with people taking bad cell phone photos of the exhibition and not enjoying the exhibition itself, with their eyes. They problably missed a lot. (But they can prove they went on their social networks...) Luckily it will never bother Helmut again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I still kick myself for not going to the Newton exhibition when it was here (when he was still alive and present on opening day). What was I thinking?!?

      Sometimes taking pictures is a way for me to see things more clearly, but at other times it only provides distance. Strange. And I know what you mean with the social network bragging, it is a real pain sometimes.

      Delete
    2. I also sometimes have to remind myself to NOT look for a picture but just enjoy the view... But many times having my camera "saved my life" and removed stress and/or anxiety. But exhibitions are exhibitions, unless you want to take pictures of the people there, which can be funny. Just taking pictures of the pictures is pointless, no ? I'd buy a book instead.

      Delete
    3. I am so with you on all of it. Sometimes I look at pictures I took on vacation, and it is like I see it for the first time, because when I was in the moment, I was busy taking the picture. In those cases the camera brings distance, but in other cases it helps me see things better.

      When it comes to exhibitions and art shows it is like the food is already chewed. And I am not as interested in taking pictures of people (except the shoes, haha).

      Ah, now I feel like exploring the city with my camera again.

      Delete
  3. Jeg elsker rødvinen! Og de der kobbertage på taget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den ligner lidt et kålhovede, ikke? Rødvinskluden. Den er også min favorit.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)