02 June 2012

The good

Okay, so the mega street party Distortion is not my thing. I don't do crowds. They litter like there is no tomorrow and pee everywhere. But hey, it is only one day (in each neighborhood), and this time around it came with improvements. The police were amazing, with cool and at times nannyesque real-time updates on Twitter (as in: don't walk home alone, remember to hydrate), dressed in special vests, making it look more like a party and less like a crime scene. So clever. And this time the city was in charge of cleaning it up, you could pretty much eat off the sidewalks the next morning. What a difference from last year.

Untitled

Copenhagen in a party dress.

Untitled

So pretty.

Untitled

Elevated

It is so strange how I can be in the middle of a crowded block party, and still come home with pictures looking like I was the only one there. Which is pretty much the way I feel.

Distortion, Copenhagen 2012

Bunny support. Taking the edge off.

Since new years eve, my friends on the bridge have not been tagged once. Copenhageners are so cool. But Distortion brings a lot of outsiders, who may not understand how precious the statue is to us, so just to be on the safe side, I wrapped them up again.

A wrap

When I went to remove it today, it was already gone. Maybe the city's super cleaners beat me to it? The most important thing is that they survived unharmed. That is really all I care about.

Mid wrapping I spotted a man taking pictures of something on the other side of the bridge. Clearly I missed something there. I went over to investigate, and found this little guy:

Untitled

The man took a couple of snapshots and kindly allowed me a few too, before he carefully tucked him back in his pocket. What was that about? You know I had to ask. "This is my son", he said. "I travel the world, and spend a lot of time away from home, and my son has found this way of always being with me." "Whenever I come to a new city, I take a picture of him there, and send it to him."

Beckett

This is Beckett.

If he sees this, I hope it makes him happy. I know it works for me.


13 comments:

  1. Your pictures are awesome and the ones of Beckett are especially heart tugging! That would totally be my sons' way of being with me, if I was travelling (the lego addicts that they are). Hope he enjoyed Copenhagen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celena :-) And I hope so too. And I hope he sees it and feel special. As he obviously is.

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJune 02, 2012

    Copenhagen party dress was excellent ))
    Enjoy ))

    Yetkin from İstanbul...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yetkin, I am glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. SO cool that you wrapped the statue <3

    Walking down Nørrebrogade yesterday - all the way from Nørreport Station to number 52, it seemed to me that Nørrebrogade was cleaner than usually, and I have been volunteering my cleaning services so I know something about the amount of garbage found there outside Distortion.

    The monster seems to be under control, which is good, and Distortion 2013 is probably secure, but Distortion is also loosing it's edge, for me it peeked in 2008 and 2009, when the block-parties (street-parties in 2012 lingo) were pioneered.

    For me it's about finding the posts that suits you, Sankt Hans Torv didn't do it for me ;-), the street-party at Baggesensgade, otoh, was perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) And I absolutely agree, Distortion peaked a long time ago. Smaller was better, I would actually prefer a lot of smaller street parties throughout the year. At this point it resembles a festival, with the merchandise and the programs and tickets and what not.

      Clearly I am not doing it right, maybe it just about finding the right block, and crowd. Or maybe I am just more into improvised parties on a smaller scale.

      Delete
    2. Smaller street parties throughout the year would be great, I think that outer Nørrebro with Superkilen is inviting for that, unfortunately Nørrebroparken has been turned into a concrete factory, and is not really inviting for that. Jægersborggade would be perfect, they are currently organising a street-party to take place in august, facebook-event for planning meeting here https://www.facebook.com/events/108832665924030/ - they accept outsiders

      Delete
    3. Ah, Jægersborggade still have that cosy local feeling. I think Saxogade has one too? The Nansensgade street party spun out of control, with too many visitors, and got cancelled. The key must be to not advertise it anywhere, and let the party bloom locally.

      I will go ahead and write the Jægersborggade party in, thank you.

      Delete
  4. So nice! I suppose we are preparing for Fete de la musique, where I stopped going years ago because it's a zoo everywhere in French big cities. This was a wonderful idea that turned into pain. But I believe the streets are cleaned by the city afterwards, in a pretty efficient way. Anyway it is customary that it rains for the fete de la musique. In Paris it used to be that you'd better stay close to your neighborhood or you could just walk home (taxi will just refuse to take you and no subway after 12:30). But now I guess it has changed with the Velib' bicycle system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is the one they went to in Two Days In Paris, I think? Going by bike is a good bet, but for Distortion you need to park it a little bit outside the party zone, and you have to be really careful to avoid all the broken glass when you leave.

      Next time I visit Paris I have to try the Velib bikes. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ah, I do miss Copenhagen. I spent eight years there, and yes, I did learn Danish! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)