21 August 2012

The power of the people

Something happened inside me from the moment I decided to just go ahead and do stuff. The opposite of my endless procrastinating, and if only's. I guess it began on new years eve with the wrapping of the statues on the bridge. Then came the Test Tubes (I have been talking to one of the guys who picks up litter on the bridge, and he told me that there is no cup litter anymore, they are very happy with the tubes :D). For every experiment, I get so charged with energy. So much is possible, and you can work with people because deep down we all want the same thing.

When I heard that the hills were to be flattened and the old trees were going to die, I knew I had to do something. My friend Jennie Ferrara and I started the facebook group "Red Broens Bunkere" (save the bridge bunkers), and within one day it had the support of more than five hundred Copenhageners. I made my first banner:

Save the bunkers

...and mounted it on the hill behind the Nile, asking on the group wall if anyone could spare a set of tent stakes, and hours later a guy had left some by the statue. So cool.

The protest made it to the news.


Citizens in an uproar about endangered Nørrebro-oases (link).

And the group gained more support. All along we knew that the demolition were scheduled to go ahead any day, it was super stressfull. And then the miracle of all miracles: Ayfer Baykal, mayor of Technics and Environment, joined the group and voiced her intent to save the hills. The good news:


Mayor puts a stop to removal of endangered oases (link to funny English Google translate version).

The entire project (estimated to set back the city 3 million crowns), is now put to a halt, and the local councils around Copenhagen get a say about their bunkers. Of course promises have been given and broken before, but for now we are drawing a sigh of relief. All the while the group is still growing. There is now something called "bunkerkærlighed" (bunker love), and it is a powerful thing.


16 comments:

  1. It all happened because of you & your friend! I am so happy you saved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am deliriously happy too. :D

      Delete
  2. All I have to say is that you ROCK, Sandra! :) You make CPH a better place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Celena. It feels good to know I play a small part in the survival of that particular area. Everyone who kept the fire burning have a share in that. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow! How frakking cool is that! You're a true every day hero, Sandra.

    Congrats (to all of us).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy lucky that we heard about it in time. By some random miracle. Congrats to all of us very much. :D

      Delete
  4. Du er en rigtigt ildsjæl når det slår dig Sandra!

    Hvor er det fedt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeg slår og brænder, haha. Åh, det er dejligt at være med til at gøre en forskel.

      Delete
  5. That's awesome news, Sandra! Just "going ahead and doing stuff" is the BEST anti-dote to procrastination - I have also found recently! ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still put off stuff all the time, but I am getting better at the just doing part. Also, sometimes procrastinating really means that my heart is not in it. Then it is better to move on, instead of putting it off and feeling crappy about it. :D

      Delete
  6. Amazing! Well done! I always love to read your blog and todays gave me a powerful 'yeah I can do something too' feel!
    I hope that the bunkers stay where they are and the city can keep its money for something a bit more useful. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that is so good to hear! And you totally can. Once you try a little something, and see it work, it builds an appetite. It is really rewarding, I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great!! I am happy to hear that "doing stuff" is successful and gives you energy in addition.
    I always get very sad when trees shall die. We need them so urgently, particularly the old ones.
    I am still in the procrastination stage but making up my mind in the meantime. You're encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ulrike, the prospective of losing the old trees was also the breaking point for me. The way I see it, the assignment of our generation is to make sure that the trees are cared for and passed on safe and strong to future generations. Hopefully we don't pollute them to death...

      I heard someone speak highly of the concept of delayed gratification. You could call it that, and be done with the guilt of procrastinating. Or, whatever it is: just go ahead and do it. :D

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)