08 October 2012

Adopt a tree / paging all Danish street artists!

Warning: if another save-the-hills post is not your thing, I suggest you skip this one because it is about to hit the fan. I am going to ask for help.

We succeeded in postponing the demolition of the hills and the majestic old trees by Queen Louises Bridge, growing on and around the WW2 bunkers. The decision was moved from city hall to the local councils. In the case of the sunset corners, it is up to 23 men and women who live in the inner city, viewing the case as a simple one: the bunkers are not "in use", therefore they should be demolished. Disturbingly unimpressed by the massive public outcry and media frenzy, and not taking into account that all the old trees will disappear. Or the fact that the bunkers are useful not for what is inside (nothing), but for the hilly landscape they provide. Everybody loves the hills.

On this coming Friday (the 12th), the inner city local council will set up a cart next to the bunkers for three hours to pass out questionnaires, but they have just made their position perfectly clear with this update to their website: "..we do not find the old wartime bunkers worth protecting".

Endangered old tree
 
Endangered old trees

Endangered old tree

Endangered old tree

We only have a very short time left to do something spectacular, and make people understand that the old trees are bordering on extinction. I know that there are Danish street artists reading my blog from time to another, and I hope they will see this and feel encouraged to "adopt" a tree. Any old tree on the bunker corners, any time before or on Friday. Decorate it (gently of course) and create awareness. Make a splash. Tell other artists and your friends. The sooner the better. If we can make a lot of people speak up by Friday, this could be our last chance.

*
The single voice of reason are not surprisingly found at the local council of the north side, representing one of the three bridge corners, all for keeping things the way they are. But on the sunny side we are in trouble. Big trouble. And, this time it may take a lot more than a single banner.

Links:
Save the hills (the first post)
The power of the people (follow up post)
Red Broens Bunkere (facebook group/Danish)
Indre Bys Lokaludvalg om bunkerne, m. kommentarfelt (Danish)

14 comments:

  1. Come on Danish street artists!!! I see that you are taking things in your own hands Sandra, way to go! Wish I could help, but I don't know anybody except you in CPH, I'm sending you good vibes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good vibes! I know of two now, who are going to do something on Friday, so at least something is happening. Uuuuuh. :-)

      Delete
  2. "The hills are alive with the sound of music
    With songs they have sung for a thousand years
    The hills fill my heart with the sound of music
    My heart wants to sing every song it hears

    My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds
    that rise from the lake to the trees
    My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies
    from a church on a breeze
    To laugh like a brook when it trips and falls over
    stones on its way
    To sing through the night like a lark who is learning to pray

    I go to the hills when my heart is lonely
    I know I will hear what I've heard before
    My heart will be blessed with the sound of music
    And I'll sing once more" Sound of Music.

    ´Mogens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Mogens, that is just perfect! The hiiiiiiils are alive. Someone ought to perform that one on Friday. :-)

      Delete
  3. I am not in Copenhagen right now, but how about pirating the Christiana logo for a good cause? "Bevar Bunkeren"? It worked before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope word gets out. There are so many possibilities to do something fun.

      Delete
  4. Sending "Bevar Bunkeren" thoughts your way! Good luck and happy saving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celena. I will give it all I got. :-)

      Delete
  5. I can´t make it on Friday but will attempt something beforehand, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be fantastic, Bert. I will keep an eye out for it. :-)

      Delete
  6. I´ll be there.

    - TEJN

    ReplyDelete
  7. See you friday Sandra. ´Got an idea or two.
    ´Tarsiglov.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that! See you there.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)