30 March 2013

Operation Cherry Tree

Blogging about Copenhagen takes a backseat to fighting for trees at the moment. Somehow I have told myself that the two subjects don’t mix, even if the tree hugging is taking place in Copenhagen. Maybe I am wrong? I do feel like showing you an amazing thing that took place this week: I witnessed a cherry tree transplant.

In total fifteen trees were rescued from the chainsaw. If these trees had been on the other side of the fence, they would have been the territory of the park people of Copenhagen, and gone by now. As it is, they belong to the Department of Health Services, and this is why instead of a muddy field, the elderly of Copenhagen in De Gamles By now have a small cherry tree forest. So cool! This is how it's done:

0: before moving day

Before moving day. 

1: grab the tree

The grabbing, executed by Nordisk Træflyt. It works like a big hand with claws, grabbing, closing and digging in the "claws" one by one, to scoop up the root and 3.5 ton of the surrounding soil.

2: scoop it up

Scoop it up.

3: transport it to the hole you prepared

Transport it to the hole you prepared.

3.5 ton jordhaps
 
4: position it, and gently release

Position the tree, retract the claws one at the time and gently release.

5: there

There.

6: scoop up soil to fill tree hole

Scoop up a soilplug to fill tree hole.

7: soil plug

8: soil plug in transit

9: rescued cherry tree park

The rescued cherry tree garden.

Job well done

And on to the next emergency. 

Why would anyone cut down a perfectly healthy tree, where we need them the most, when this can be done? I really wish they would leave healthy trees alone in the first place, but short of that, a rescue should be the only other option, if at all possible. I can't wait to return for the bloom. 


10 comments:

  1. What an awesome job! *standing ovation* Glad you could document it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing them adapt to the moving. The soil looks really unfit to me, almost claybased, but they are used to it from just down the road. Uh, fingers crossed that they will be happy. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to visit these trees next time i'm in CPH, probably next year...greetings from australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Australia,
      I hope you will find them healthy and happy. :-)

      Delete
  3. An incredible thing to see!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I can't wait to see them settle in and bloom. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Fan-f'ing-tastisk!!!<3 en rigtig påskehistorie -jo faktisk- genopstandelse, evigt liv og den slags:-)
    kh muttilove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, nå ja nu du siger det. :D

      Delete
  5. this is really cool! this is such an ingenious tool! well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my city the park people say it doesn't work, so I am looking forward to the proving them wrong part. They already have been of course, but this time I will be around to document it all the way.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)