09 April 2013

Everyone counts

The first thing I spotted when I returned from Amsterdam, was the small memorial site on the bridge corner. At first it was only flowers, but in the coming days pictures and small notes were added revealing that the hot dog vendor had suffered a heart attack and passed way too early. I was not a customer, but I was touched that someone cared enough to remember him this way. The idea that we are not invisible in this world, and that someone will remember you when you are gone, comforts me.

Broens pølsemand

I wish I knew more of the locals, and that we were better at maintaining a community spirit. That it was not just about the individual co-ops and their little fenced off backyards, but rather the understanding that we are all in this together.

Last week I spotted another memorial site by the lakes, with flowers and candlelights. I talked to one of the locals, who were also wondering what it was about, he too felt the need to know. The site is widening and today I saw a guy adjusting some of the flowers, scattered by the wind. I asked him if he knew who had passed, and I was oddly touched by his reply: "No, I live down the street, and I come down here at night to light the candles. My friend was killed by a bus in Rantzausgade recently, so I know how much these memorial sites mean" (Ugh, I didn't know how to respond, having read about the poor guy on his bike, in that insanely dangerous street so unfit for cycling).

Untitled

Now I need to know what happened here. Not knowing is like accepting it doesn’t matter, and I need it to matter. I can’t even tell you why.

10 comments:

  1. Of course it matters, it's like a huge portion of the population is totally ignored by the others. Which is not all right. In big cities anonymity can be really hard, especially on people who didn't choose to live like that, and it leads to a lot of violence (moral and physical) that we tend to accept/ignore way too easily. Personally I like this feeling of anonymity, but it can be scary and lonely, let's not kid ourselves. Good post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I don't feel alone living in a city. At least if something happens, someone can hear you scream. The big city is in my blood, I would sufforcate in the countryside for sure. But we really need to get back to the community feeling, it is like we have been neglecting it and now it is falling apart.

      Maybe I will have to do something about it. Let me think. :-) (I am so glad you liked the post)

      Delete
  2. To me it is very touching that people care and leave signs. So, it seems that community is not missing completely yet. :)

    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, this is a sign that we have the basis for a good community feeling. These sites makes us stop and talk to each other, maybe we need more excuses to do that. Maybe that is the way to evolve it? Hm.

      Delete
  3. I love your post! I always find it so touching to see the memorials and what people do to remember each other.
    The other week, here in Montreal, a man fell off his bike and ended up under the wheels of a large truck. Yesterday, I heard that some complete strangers did a "ghost bike" ride for him and put a memorial up, at the corner where he had died. Beautiful gesture.
    Please let us know about your mystery memorial. RIP to the hotdog vendor...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very touching. This last one is on a very busy part of the lakes that I pass every day, how can I have missed someone dying there? It just doesn't make sense.

      How terrible with this poor man in Montreal, it sounds a little bit like what happened to the guy in Rantzausgade, I think he was hit by the sidemirror of the bus. Ugh. We are not allowed to make memorials in the spots of traffic accidents, but I don't know if they enforce it.

      I will let you know if I find out what the memorial above is about.

      Delete
  4. Cykler forbi blomsterne hver dag, og jeg har også undret mig. Jeg bor lige ved siden af, og jeg har hverken set eller hørt noget... Det er ubehageligt og lidt skræmmende, at der sker så mange dødsfald lige her omkring os, men det er rart at tænke på, at ingen bliver glemt. Selv fremmede tænker over det og sender en tanke. Det er så fint. Og så kan man måske føle sig som en del af et større fællesskab, selv om man kunne ønske sig, at vi i lokalområdet snakkede mere med hinanden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det er altså ikke helt håbløst, jeg bliver glad over at høre fra dig og af at tale med de andre forbipasserende ved stedet. Måske er det sådan nogle små ting der skal til, for at vi kommer i den rigtige retning?

      Mysteriet er ikke opklaret endnu, nede ved søerne, men jeg satser på at komme til bunds i det. :-)

      Delete
    2. Ja... Det er lidt som Vi-tager-gaden-tilbage/gruppen, som altid samles kl. 17 dagen efter en episode med knivstik og skud. Så er der vist kaffe, kage, blomster og tale. Det, synes jeg, viser, at der er lidt fællesskab her i lokalområdet :) Det varmer i den uforståelige kulde!

      Jeg følger, mysteriet må opklares...

      Delete
  5. Fantastisk konsept!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)