28 July 2013

The scare

Over on twitter someone wrote: twelve swans found dead in Peblingelake. Of course I went into amber alert. Especially since we have been there before, back when most of the swans were poisoned. Living by the lakes, I was afraid to look, but I needed to know. Choking up on my way there, expecting the worst. And... nothing. Nothing but pink light and reflections and lakes so unreal in their beauty, that I half suspected them of lying to my face. The scare turned out to be a good thing because without it I would have missed this:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

All there, as far as I could tell. Including the couple with cygnets, one lake over. Ah.

Untitled

The city just chopped down two giant chestnut trees on the other side, below the two towers leaving a bald spot. It is incredibly hard for urban trees to survive in Copenhagen, and the loss is felt even more when it is the old ones. They replant, of course, but odds for newly planted trees are not good. In the corner you can spot the trees on the bunkers, that survived the flattening plans. Ha for that, at least!

Untitled

Untitled
 Untitled
 
Untitled

The lake pavillion.

Untitled 
As far as I know, there are no guidelines for how to behave around the wildlife, when you rent a paddle boat. Especially around nesting time, the swans are stressed when you get too close. I would like to see some kind of measurements in place, for that (as I write this, I realise it is probably something I have to intiate myself).

Untitled

The sunsets are pink and orange and red and amazing. We are mid heatwave, it is probably the first real summer in Copenhagen in years, which is why you don't hear from me so often these days. I'm too busy charging the batteries and taking it all in. Ah, I hope you have a fantastic summer too.


16 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 29, 2013

    For as long as I can remember, I've longed to visit Copenhagen. Your lovely blog is doing nothing to help me forget about this (sadly) unattainable dream, but I thank you for showing me what I'm missing.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one day you will be able to visit, everything is possible in life.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sådan så de virkelig ud, det var helt vildt. Og mange tak. : )

      Delete
  3. I wonder about the swans too.

    Do people clean up the lakes so the ducks/swans do not have to swim and eat in polluted water? Are there regulations around throwing bottles/garbage into the lakes?

    The wildlife is such a beautiful part of the lakes but who is looking out for the swans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that the farty green goo is yum to the birds. Some people will throw stuff in the lakes, but a lot of it just blows there from overspilling garbage cans. Also I have seen other birds make a mess, pulling garbage out of the cans.

      When it comes to the lake swans, I don't think anyone is appointed to look out for them. Last time I checked, I was told that the lakes themselves were the only ones looked after, by the nature and park people. So strange.

      Delete
  4. Copenhagen is so beautiful during the summer. Thank God the swans are all okay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a delicious set of photos, and I was so glad to hear on Twitter that it was a false alarm about the swans. Enjoy your beautiful summer, and check in and let us know what's going on when you have a few spare moments :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will probably see more of me on twitter, haha. I am enjoying this summer so much. And I have lots of pictures to share, they are just shy. : )

      Delete
  6. As always, I love your lake shots! So cosy!
    Hope you are having a happy summer.... despite evil rumours of dead swans- wonder where that came from? Did you ever find out why someone would tweet that? As Mads said, thank God that they were OK.
    Hugs and sunshine to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone read up on the old swan death news from back when they were poisoned, or something. Sometimes you get bad info, but it was better to check it out, than fear the worst.

      Oh, it is the best weather, unreal for Denmark, almost tropical on a day like today. I'm sending lots of sunshine your way too. And hugs. : )

      Delete
  7. Really good pictures as always and bringing me back beatiful memories of summer in Copenhagen. Wishing to come back soon and watch these amazing colourfull sunsents over the lakes myself (with healthy swans swimming around!).

    Thank you again for keeping me and -I'm sure- a lot of people updated about what's going on around the loveliest city ever! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene,

      that is so good to hear, thank you. You have just inspired me to try out an idea, uuh it could be fun, if you want to play along. I will tell you about it soon in a post, but first I have some Paris to get out of my system. Hugs back at you. : )

      Delete
    2. So excited to hear about it!! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, what beautiful pictures! I'm a Dane currently living in New Jersey, so I stop by your blog to get a dose of Copenhagen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise (hej Louise),

      You and Irene (in the comment above you) have given me an idea, that I can't wait to try out. I am so happy that the pictures make you feel closer to Copenhagen. Taking and sharing them, oddly do the same for me. : )

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)