02 August 2013

Dominoes

I wasn’t sure I was going to check it out, but then I thought of you. Metropolis, the urban festival for performance and arts, had invited Station Opera House to line up three kilometers of giant dominoes, worming their way across town. It started at Nicolaj Church. 


Map borrowed from the Metropolis site.

My first domino spotting as I approached the city, was coming out (or going in) the Copenhagen Cathedral.

Untitled

I quickly decided to move on to the courthouse further down the road. A wider space, less crammed.

Untitled

Untitled

I found the perfect spot inside, nice and people free. While it lasted, haha. 

Untitled
After a few minutes, you could feel the tension building, I kicked off my sandals, and climbed the bench:


Odd observation: dominoes seem to attract white haired ladies in black rimmed glasses. And, third time I watched it, I noticed the identical looking man and woman in the front. Spooky stuff, this.

Untitled

One minute everyone was there, the next they were gone. It was almost surreal. 

Untitled

This was my first time in the courthouse, so beautiful. I have to explore these places more. I feel almost obligated.

Untitled

As for the dominoes, I realised that with all my attention on the camera, I completely missed it. So I decided to put the camera away, and hurry down to the finish line, on Town Hall Square. And just watch it.

Untitled
The grand finale. I am so glad you made me go.   

 

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome- and over such a long distance too! It must have been so cool to watch it in person but I am afraid that you now have white hair/black glasses/black clothing. It looks like it was contagious ;)
    Glad to hear that you are finally getting tropical weather. Maybe DK is making up for the shitty start to the summer.
    Knus, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me want to rethink going back to icyblonde, haha. Oh, I miss it. This chopped liver dirty blonde is so not my thing.

      And this must be the best summer since, well.. ever. I every way, oddly. : )

      Delete
  2. You're welcome :)

    3km of Dominoes through the city is pretty fantastic - big gold star for whoever thought of that idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big gold star to Staion Opera House, and the Metropolis people for making it happen here. And all the volunteers, wow, imagine the lifting involved. And cleaning up.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I imagine a few people will have sore backs tomorrow :)

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)