26 October 2013

Ørstedsparken

Of all the parks in Copenhagen, Ørstedsparken is the wildest. Hilly and diverse both in vegetation and clientele, embracing everyone from dog walkers and families to famously so, gay men in the after hours. It has crooks, wilderness and statues, lots of benches, a lake, a romantic bridge and a cafe. And it is one of the few parks where you are allowed to barbecue.

I don’t go there nearly often enough, and during my last visit, a few things really struck me: we have so little wilderness in Copenhagen. For some reason the city planners are obsessed with neatness, keeping things at an even height, and manageable. Grass is better than trees, and asphalt is better than grass. The other thing that hit me, was that I had completely forgotten what healthy trees are really supposed to look like. Look at our beautiful friends:

Ørstedsparken
 
Ørstedsparken

Ørstedsparken

Ørstedsparken

Ørstedsparken

Ørstedsparken

Part of the attraction is the location. Right around the corner from the busiest train station in Copenhagen, Nørreport (the one with the floating green roofs).

Ørstedsparken

The surrounding real estate may be high end, but Ørstedsparken is for everyone. 

Ørstedsparken

Ørstedsparken

Ørstedsparken

You get that I like trees, don't you? Ha. If you don't, you may want to look the other way for what comes next. Or not, actually...

8 comments:

  1. oh thanks for the trees, i so love them, and in paris we lack wilderness too, most parks are so polished. where i work, they cut the tree branches so in the end they look like cubes on a stick! How sick is that? sure they don't bother cars or people's window that way, but it is heartbreaking. big hugs, and thanks again for this yummy post xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't seem to appreciate the beauty in the wilderness. Future generations will shake their heads of this. And I am sure they will nurse biodiversity and fight to preserve the remaining patches. What little we will leave them. Ugh.

      But the trees in Ørstedsparken are still standing, I am happy that you love them too. Hugs back at you. <3

      Delete
  2. kære Sandra, du tager altid fine, fine billeder (og vigtige) og det øverste i denne serie gav mig tårer i øjnene<3 Fandeme smukt!!! kh muttilove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Årh, hvor er det dejligt at høre, tusinde tak. : )

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I love that park! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, and yet I go there so rarely. If only I had that dog.. <3

      Delete
  4. Just picked up yr tree posts via Red Byens Trær - I've just quoted you on my blog, see http://adriftindk.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/save-the-trees/. Hope it's OK to pinch yr screenshot, I'm v lazy re images being more of a words person.

    I have two dogs : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I'm glad you are speaking for the trees. The more of us, the better.

      I could make do with one dog. Oh, my big dream. : )

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)