02 January 2014

Staying safe

Other than champagne, I only have one New Years tradition left: covering up the statue of the Young People Sitting, to protect them from vandalism. I used to cherish the traditional New Years speech, by our Queen Margrethe, but knighting CEO of the Danish Bank (following his admission of guilt, for contributing to the financial crisis) last year, was the final straw. She lost me completely. For all I am concerned, the royal family can retire now. I wish them well, but would appreciate the choice to opt out of supporting their extravagant lifestyle.

The Museum of Copenhagen finally removed the huge container on the Queen Louises Bridge corner, returning our sweet friends, I know I am not the only one who missed them dearly. It is like a tiny corner of order have been restored in Copenhagen. As I was covering them up, a man snickered at me “yeah, good luck with that”. His tone suggesting it was a lost cause. I knew he was wrong of course, and I also know why: he haven’t tried. If he had, he would know that all it takes, is caring. Anything is possible.

Someone else’s tradition have become poking air holes in the wrapping. I feel oddly understood.  

Unharmed. There is no way of knowing if they would have been vandalised, if they had not been covered up. But looking at the scene, three hours into the new year.. 







...I say better safe, than sorry.

 

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! It just takes some caring and effort to make a difference. I am often observing that Copenhagen is a city of people who care - I had the opposite feeling living in Berlin. Happy New Year, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is easier to see from a distance? I don't think we are so good at caring for our city, here. But in Berlin you are so far ahead of us, when it comes to protecting trees and urban nature. We have a lot of work in front of us, in Copenhagen..

      A very happy New Year to you too. : )

      Delete
  2. Happy new year Sandra! May this one be the best! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra, jeg elsker dig. Fordi du bliver ved. Det elsker jeg. Tak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvor er du sød, Helle. Årh. Tak. : )

      Delete
  4. Dear Sandra, I would like to use your last picture (trash on the street) in my blog (blog.cris.dk). It will be a post comparing Brazil and Denmark. Copacabana beach looked like this photo after the firework session in New Year's Eve. I just want to make a point that littering is a worldwide problem, and your photo is perfect for that purpose. If you give me your permission, could you tell me if you have preferences as how I should write the credits? In advance, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cris, you can use my trash picture on your blog, just remember to photo credit (Sandra Hoj, Classic Copenhagen) and link back to the blog. Anything to make the world a cleaner place. : )

      Delete
    2. 1000-tak skal du have!

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)