26 February 2014

Dannebrog

I love flag-days. They always come as a pleasant surprise, and it is a guessing game, what the occasion is: a religious thing or the birthday of another member of the rapidly expanding royal family. It really doesn’t matter. Just seeing the flag in the wind and on the buses, makes everything instantly better. It’s confetti-good. I once tried to explain it, in the Christmas calendar 2010:

To me Dannebrog, as is the name of our red and white flag, is a sign of celebration. From the first time I laid eyes on the flag, it was in the context of good times: hooray, someone gave birth/had a birthday/won the lottery. It is impossible for me to see a Danish flag and not feel instantly better.

People who enjoy national soccer games, will paint their faces with flags, and wear silly flag themed hats, and it is worth noticing that these guys are not the ones going bananas, and beating up people. In fact I will bet you that you are not able to find a single Dane waving our flag in public, who are not just there to share his joy.

Men at work:


The man on the left kept an eye on things, and told them: "be careful, it's Dannebrog". Oh.




Visitors and tourists seem to instantly get how it is a good thing, a sign of celebration. While I have heard snickering remarks from a lot of expats, who just don’t seem to get it. What is so hard to understand? 

A few of my favorite things

We love our flag, kindly suck it up.


11 comments:

  1. and it's really beautiful! after some years I understood the love and the hapiness of seeing it. And a funny thing is that my son (who is 5 and half Portuguese/half Danish) also gets happy to see the portuguese flag as much as the danish - so the flag love managed to cross cultures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is really sweet. For him a flag means celebration and happy times now. Same thing for me, I don't think that will ever go away. So many good memories in Dannebrog. I also like that you learn first hand, why the flag makes us happy, by watching your son. See, how much good comes from this? : )

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandra! so different here in France, where the flags are for official buildings. when you see someone waving it, you can bet he is a nazi of some sort :-((((. I (and I'm not the only French I bet) dislike the French flag for that. Are we the only nation like that? Of course it is not the same for the American flag, and the British one seems ok too. Good for you, it is indeed a nice looking symbol of joy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that is why expats frown and get the wrong idea, when they see people waving little paper flags. Although it should be obvious, observing the expressions on people's faces and the occasion, that it is a good thing.

      A horrible right-wing party hijacked our flag as a logo, they had a lot of power not too long ago, and I smell a political comeback for them, it is a nightmare. But it is important to not let them take the meaning away from us.

      Haha, just writing about Dannebrog puts me in a good mood. : )

      Delete
  3. Jaaaahh hurraaaaa<3 kh Muttilove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaaaa, man bliver så glad og blød indeni. Dannebrog, åh. <3

      Delete
  4. Don't forget the Christmas tree! Have to have the Dannebrog on the Christmas tree! AND on birthday treats :)

    I love the fact that the Danish flag represents festivity. Unfortunately, here in Quebec, it is just very political :(

    xox

    PS: You have inspired me to start blogging. It is rough but here it is: http://celenaandboys.blogspot.ca/

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I don't think we decorated the tree with flags, but now that you mention it, I remember seeing the Dannebrog garlands. And now I want one! : )

      So cool that I inspired you to blog, be careful you may get hooked. And, you can tell your boys that I am officially a fan of the colorful ice brickwall. Yum.

      Delete
    2. Haha! The ice wall itself is almost worth all the stupid winter....

      I am sure that a Dannebrog garland would also make a cool headpiece for flag day! Super festive :) xox

      Delete
  5. Hej, Sandra!

    I love your puddle reflection photos! This one shows both a flag and the old streetlight. Was that intentional?

    Here in America, people who fly the flag are frequently military veterans or their families. It's flown on historic holidays, too. Some foreigner visitors wonder why it's flown at all -- they ask why Americans have to be reminded of what country we live in! The only time it's flown in a joyous fashion is to celebrate when America was born, on July 4 of every year.

    When visiting Copenhagen -- my brother married a Dane and their family is there -- I see the Danish flag everywhere. It would seem strange otherwise!

    (I love this blog! I "discovered" it recently, and read much of it already!)

    Thanks! NHcycler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej NHcycler,

      The reflection picture above was no coincidence. I positioned myself right to include what I wanted, in the middle of Copenhagen's busiest bike lane, waiting for the water to settle and the wind to unfold the flag just right. OH, I felt it when I got it, way into my bones.

      It is nice to hear flag feelings from other countries, it makes me understand the snickering expats a little better. Maybe they will end up liking their own flag, when they one day return?

      Thank you for the kind words. : )

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)