30 May 2014

The pepper-man

As a Danish man, if you are still unmarried when you turn 30, you are officially a “pebersvend” a pepper-man. This is the source of gentle mockery, in the shape of a pepper mill. Some ignore the tradition altogether of course, others will just give the regular pepper mill. And then you have the pranksters who build huge peppermills out of old gasoline cans, and plant them on your doorstep. Rubbin’ it in good. I have seen a lot of them over the years, but this one takes the cake:

Congratulations 30 years

Someone went through a lot of trouble to mock their friend. Special attention to the details, and all.

Marianne's little Jimmi

Mariannes lille Jimmi / Marianne's little Jimmi. Apparently having a girlfriend is not enough, you have to marry her too? I don't know about this pepper thing...

Nyboder, as the area is called, was built for the navy, as housing for the employees and families. Nyboder-yellow and cobblestones all the way, a real tourist magnet.

Peppermill horse

They must think we are crazy, here. Hahaha.


6 comments:

  1. This is awesome - I didn't know this tradition so I would've been just as confused as those tourists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's old, but apparently still alive and well. : )

      Delete
  2. Ouch.I'm not sure what to make of this.I'd be pretty pissed if my 'friends' did this to me.Public humiliation is not really my thing.

    Ian
    Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me. It is right up there with hen- and bachelor parties.

      Delete
  3. Hahahahaha! That is absolutely classic! Love the sense of humour :) The best thing is that they put in so much work to pull this off! Thanks for sharing that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a graveyard for the discarded prank pepper mills (I can't imagine how he is going to dispose of this horse), tourists would be flocking. Even I would go.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)