07 March 2015

Birds and bees

Update from Copenhagen, snapshot style. The New Nørreport Station is all done, but there is still clutter left that I would rather keep out of the frame, so the big post will follow later. Here's a night shot, with a cameo by the worlds coolest beehive.

Nørreport Station

Another addition to the New Nørreport Station: police standing guard with machine guns. What is really crazy, is how fast you get used to them.

Untitled

Following the Copenhagen shooting, politicians whipped up a "terror package", that among other things skip all rights of privacy, allowing police to wiretap citizens without a warrant. We have past the point of "slippery slope".

Mother and child

What affects us the most is not the shooting itself, but the response. Every time something like this happens, they tighten the screw, and take just a little bit more of our privacy.

Today's version of Dannebrog

A hack on a vintage street sign, reminding drivers to watch out for the kids. Like a really cool version of our flag Dannebrog.

And lastly a messy seagull, scattering garbage by high-end food establishment Torvehallerne. The not-so-farmers-market, where they chopped down all the big trees. Nope, still haven't forgiven them for that. F*ckers!

Seagull dive

Dumpster diving. Pick and scatter, eat and repeat. Leave the mess. Ha. In five minutes this bird had crapped up the entire sidewalk, taking small breaks on people's cars.

Reflected seagull

Fascinating creatures, seagulls. And helpful too, I mean: who is the real pig here? People who throw away delicious food, or the bird who makes sure it doesn't go to waste?

Dinner is served

Bon appetit, my friend.


4 comments:

  1. I SO agree with you. I don't think Torvehallerne is an improvement AT all. It all good and fine, if they've kept the old Grønttorvet, and added Torvehallerne. Torvehallerne is not for everyone and has nothing to do with a market. I haven't forgiven them that either.

    I don't know where you're at, but I don't like "Ny Nørreport" either. Think it looks like a spacestation! Funny the armed police wern't there last I went in there.... must have come right after then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like the new Nørreport (floating green roofs part), except I think they have not taken the bike parking seriously. There should have been a cool, manned underground parking basement, like the new one in Malmö, but they skipped that suggestion. So, we are left with bathtubs/debris baskets, and flimsy front-wheel parking racks.

      And you know I am unhappy with the destruction of so many trees. Hoping these survive. Also, someone pointed out to me that concrete does not age very well, it may look ratty and worn sooner than we think.

      Jeudan, of Torvehallerne, are still chopping down trees in Copenhagen, everywhere they go. Ugh, I tell you. UGH!

      Delete
    2. Yes it's very sad, and I'm all for MORE trees! They make a city - think Berlin! They've just cut down two beautiful trees across from where I live. Wasn't bothering anyone - I get really upset as well.

      Delete
    3. Oh no, where was this? Are you on facebook? We have a citizens group called Red Byens Træer, where we fight for what is left. Currently working on a tree map, counting both living and felled. I am hoping it will be up and running within a month (you heard it here first, ha).

      If you are not on facebook, there is a blog that mirrors the action: here. We need all the help we can get. : )

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)