08 December 2016

The Bicycle Doctor

Last week I hit the brakes hard by the sight of a parked cargo bike, with an oversized wooden beer crate. So good! I had to fight a honking woman in a toxic pile of metal, to get my shot with the proper distance, but it was totally worth it.

The bicycle doctor, Nansensgade

(If ever there was a brewery less deserving of such an honor. Let it be an ode to the vintage edition. The old brewer Jacobsen gave so much to Copenhagen: art, beauty and nature. It is only the current administration, blinded by greed, destroying everything at warp speed. May they burn in hell.)

The fantastic bike was parked next to a bike shop in Nansensgade in central Copenhagen, where I was greeted by the Bicycle Doctor, Odai Darweesh. This is a small and ultra cool bike shop where you can get your bike repaired, or have a new one built from scratch. You start by picking either a new frame, or one of the vintage 1980s frames, which will then be completely restored and looking as new.

The bicycle doctor, Nansensgade

Peugeot.

On a wall you may choose from spare parts, like the cut out heart crank (custom made by a Danish metal smith) or the wooden handlebars (handmade in Poland).

The bicycle doctor, Nansensgade 
Custom made wooden handlebars.

The bicycle doctor, Nansensgade

The heart crank with a blurry shot of the good doctor, diagnosing a customer's bike.

The Bicycle Doctor is from Syria (did I mention: foreigners make everything better). And as he speaks English, a young boy asked his mother what the man was doing? The mother replied that he was a bicycle doctor, which is now the name above the door.

The bicycle doctor, Nansensgade

But back to the amazing cargo bike, with the giant wooden crate: it is hand built and can be made in any color and with any logo you desire (I am thinking the perhaps coolest Danish brewery Mikkeller needs at least one). It is fit on a long john frame, and is reportedly not too heavy to push. They cost around 20.000 DKR, but the prototype is for sale at 14.000 DKR. Santa, baby...


2 comments:

  1. I hope that you find that cool bike under your tree ;) Oh! The cut out hearts! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cut out hearts are so cool. I am off the present thing, so no bike for me. Besides, cargo bikes are stolen before you can blink in my neighborhood, and I manage to transport just as much when I pack my granny bike right. Anything is possible. :D

      Merry Christmas, Celena.

      Delete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)